Saturday, May 7, 2011

On Mothers.

I just read an article by writer Nicholas Kristof ( http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/opinion/05kristof.html ) that talks about women dying in Somalia due to lack of contraception and prenatal care.  I went through a somewhat harrowing (at least for me) birth experience with my first child that ended up in emergency c-section.  My surgeon literally said to me "you are one of those mother's who would have died without modern medicine."  So this issue hits me particularly close to home.  Thinking that had I had the-- misfortune, I supposed you call it, to have been born in a remote part of the world, I probably wouldn't be here now, and neither would my children.

That I live in a day and age where this is still happening is a bit strange to me.  I have  so many comforts, just tonight I was working on getting a nanny/housekeeper hired, that I find it almost embarrassing what I complain about when I read about the harsh realities of what these women/children are living through.

So in honor of my mother, my children and just women in general, I made a donation to the Friends of Edna (cite listed in the article linked above) which is a maternity/ teaching hospital in Somalia.  I hope that anyone reading this will consider giving as well.

My baby is crying, so I guess that is all for now.  I'm just happy to have the opportunity to be able to be here and take care of her.  Please give to those who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment